Sunday, April 18, 2010

Act 9: Born Tall

I have a few good friends who are in graduate school studying Zoology and Aquarium Studies (Master's of Biology to be exact).  I always hear about their classes and the cool places they are held (Shedd Aquarium, Nanette Marsh, etc).  I've helped proofread their papers and make model zoos (the toilet paper roll trees were stunningly realistic!).  Most of what they talk about when they get going is way over my head because I'm not a biology person, but that's okay.  They're still a fantastically fun and entertaining group.  And if I ever feel left out due to my lack of knowledge in their field I just yell out "glucocorticoids!!" and they go crazy.  They explained to me what it was once... something about hormones... all I know is it gets a funny reaction :)

Being an animal lover, I'm always a little jealous of any hands-on experience they get with critters of any size.  I want to hold a sugar glider or help with a study on the cognitive abilities of elephants or shear alpaca!  Alas, these things are not to be (any time soon anyway).  Though I am still holding out hope for riding a camel.  But today my connections did allow me to see something amazing.

Last Sunday, Niabi Zoo had it's second giraffe baby in 4 months and my friends were able to get me into the still-closed-until-May zoo and into the usually-closed giraffe barn to see this 8-day old wonder. 


It's a little girl (no name as they are having a contest to allow the public to help name her).  She was 5'5" when she was born... that's as tall as me!  In fact, the other giraffe baby, a boy born in December, was 5'9" inches tall!!

She was adorable with her slightly wobbly legs and her horns that weren't quite straightened out yet.  The thing that struck me most was her eyes.  They were so gentle.   So sweet looking.  You just wanted to pet her and hug her and take her home with you.  Mama giraffe was a little more reserved looking, as any mother should be when 6 short, tail-less, two-legged animals stand there staring at her baby for 20 minutes.  She did give the baby a few kisses, licks, and nuzzles while we were watching.  What a cool sight :)

And Carrie... I made sure to post this before going to bed tonight because I know you always look for it on Sunday night.  You're welcome!

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME! i want to keep her as a pet! ask Heather if that's allowed. ;)

    PS...thanks for posting it! i mean, i don't stalk your blog or anything....

    um. maybe i do. but i only stalk because i LOVE.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Carrie... you are not alone with the stalking :D I don't know how the place you are staying at is now... but the idea of you trying to fit in a full grown giraffe is most amusing to me.

    ~H

    ReplyDelete
  3. well...i can fit into the house i'm currently staying in! and she's about the same height as me. i could see it working out. baby giraffes don't grow up right? they stay that small forever?

    ...good. then it's decided. you talk to your people, i'll talk to mine. i'll be picking up the babe in approx. 3 weeks.

    :)
    -C

    ReplyDelete