Thursday, April 15, 2010

Act 8: Par for the... First Time!

Besides Junior Golfers back in my hometown, my golfing career has mostly consisted of playing once or twice a year with my dad.  Sometimes not even that.  I'm not impressive by any means, but over the last couple of years I've taken more of an interest and improved.  You know, I'm shooting in the low to mid 60s instead of the 90s.  On nine holes.  Hey, it's a start!  I actually even purchased clubs last summer.  Real adult clubs.  Quite a departure from the gray and pink clubs I'd had since I was 10.  Maybe they have something to do with my improvement?  Who knows.

I do know that this year I've already golfed three times and it's only April 15th.  That's a lot!  And although I couldn't call this post 'par for the course' since that's unlikely to ever happen (ever...), for the first time ever I did par a hole!  It was at Highland Springs yesterday on hole 4 which is a par 3.  My drive was was solid but went into the bunker on the left side of the green.  I was able to chip out of it onto the green and put it in though.  A very rare 1-putt saves the day! 

It definitely boosted my confidence for the day, which is good.  I have a major confidence problem when it comes to golfing.  I always assume I'm way worse than anyone else.  But with the exception of my 11 on the 9th hole (I was tired!), I held my own and even impressed they guys with my mostly consistent drives.  And hey, I didn't hit it behind me.  Two of my foursome did!

I've heard it said that no matter how bad the rest of the round is, there will always be one shot that makes you want to come back.  Yesterday, that par was it.



"Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad." ~A.A. Milne

No comments:

Post a Comment