Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Act 6 & 7: Change and Chop

This weekend was a two-fer!  I didn't have anything new planned to do, but lucky for me a couple of things came up.  Funny how things work out :-)

I went to my hometown for Easter and got to see a few friends that I don't see too often.  It was a fantastic weekend!  I spent Saturday afternoon with my friend Katie's family.  This is one of my favorite families of all time.  And a rare one that makes me feel just as welcome and comfortable as my own family.  They're fantastic :)  The exciting part of this was that Katie's older sister Beth was home for the holiday with her kids and Nicole (11 months) was just figuring out the walking thing.  We had her strolling back and forth across the living room the whole time.  It was so cute!  This is the most recent picture I could find of little Nicole... unfortunately it's about 5 months old.  She's only gotten better with age though!




As it always does when around children, it came up that I have never changed a diaper.  I know, I'm 27.  But hey, I'm the youngest of my siblings and nearly all of my cousins and I never babysat!  The opportunity just never presented itself.  Until just recently, children cried any time I came near (I've heard they can smell fear!).  However, with Nicole right there I had no excuse.  Next time she needed changing, I had dibs.  Now, as most parents know, changing a diaper is not rocket science.  Take old one off, slide new one under butt, attach velcro tabs.  Besides not making it tight enough the first time, I did a stellar job.  This diaper was just wet though.  Next time my dear friends will have other plans for me, and I'm sure that time will be more interesting!


The second opportunity presented itself back at home when my friend Heather asked me to cut her hair.  I laughed at first too, but she was serious!  She has very long hair and only wanted a couple of inches of split ends cut off so I decided to give it a go.  Her hair is slightly curly.  That and the length mean it's pretty forgiving of not-completely-straight cuts.  Which is good, because I cannot cut wrapping paper in a straight line to save my life.  You think I'm kidding, but you should look at them.  It's awful. 

But... back to the hair.  For ease of cleanup we did this outside with Heather sitting on the front porch railing.  The whole neighborhood could have watched if they wanted, but I don't think anyone did.  Her hair was dry so it was easy to make sure I wasn't cutting it too short.  I forgot to take a "before" picture so below is a "towards the end" picture.  I evened it all out after this was taken too.  It made me feel like I was part artist/part mad scientist.  And it made me want to cut again, so long as the person doesn't mind some major experimentation and a learning curve.  Any takers? 



"Life is like a mustache.  It can be wonderful or terrible, but it always tickles."

5 comments:

  1. wow Heather was brave! Go Heather! looks like you did a good job! also...way to go on changing the diaper! YOU were brave! girls are easier to change than boys though...I can't wait to hear about the first time you change a boys diaper, you must be very strategic so as not to get sprayed in the face! ;) Once again, great post! I MISS YOU!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy with the results. You did a good job! Although it was a bit scary when, about three snips in, you started laughing quite evilly. And then it hit me that I was sitting quite precariously on a railing getting my hair cut in the dark. That makes it all the more amusing. Thanks for the haircut... I may hit you up next time again!

    ~H

    ReplyDelete
  3. How have you never changed a diaper?? My brother is only 4 1/2 younger than me, and I always had to change his diaper when the babysitters got grossed out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I said, I was the youngest! I didn't have a little brother to change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I promise you that my cutting of wrapping paper and the wrapping of any present is far worse than anything you could possibly ever do. I have resigned myself to never getting any good at that. I just wrap them up in the least terrible fashion I can, then just put them under the Christmas tree. :)
    Jay

    ReplyDelete